Administrator

Regarding Multiple Accounts

180 posts in this topic

This topic has been subject to debate for some time however we feel that it is in the server's best interest to instate a rule against playing with multiple accounts. This includes "multi-boxing" but also using multiple accounts in general. With that being said, a heavy penalty shall be inflicted on any accounts found violating this rule.

More information regarding rules and guidelines can be found here.

While multiboxing may seem okay to some, it can be used extremely maliciously. When talking about issues such as multiboxing, players need to take a step back from their own personal perspective, and look at how it will affect a server as a whole. To allow multiboxing would open up better conditions for malicious behavior. Server Staff will have to go out of their way to assure that these multiboxers are not botting or using automation. Allowing something like this will definitely significantly increase the workload on staff, and generally multiboxers receive negative feedback anyways. They get an advantage over others in almost every aspect of the leveling phase. 

I think that it is a great thing this server and its staff are very receptive to the interests of its community, but I think on this issue it is absolutely validated that multiboxing should not be allowed.

Great to hear :) I think Multi-boxing and multi accounting is very frustrating, and is the wrong way to improve your characters.

You shouldn't be ahead because you play multiple accounts simultaneously. But because you are good at your class and the game in general :) 

So thank you very much for this decision devs ^_^

Glad to hear this cancer will be disallowed. Thank you guys for your hard work. 

4 minutes ago, Celdarin said:

So you will not be able to have an alt and boost it through dungeons?

No

Good decision.

Multi-boxing is fine in retail because accounts cost $30 + $13/mo. That's enough of a disincentive to discourage abuse.

Multi-boxing + free accounts just doesn't work.

Me and my friends will be playing in a computer shop and we are almost 20 players is it allowed? or are we violating any rules..

8 minutes ago, Pisyong said:

Me and my friends will be playing in a computer shop and we are almost 20 players is it allowed? or are we violating any rules..

as long as it's 1 account per person you're good to go

Is account-sharing allowed? Am I allowed to log on a friends account and my own at the same time? It's pretty common among groups of friends to share their accounts with each-other so that when people are not online their characters can still be used for portals/conjured water/professions crafts etc for other characters.

26 minutes ago, MaloW said:

Is account-sharing allowed? Am I allowed to log on a friends account and my own at the same time? It's pretty common among groups of friends to share their accounts with each-other so that when people are not online their characters can still be used for portals/conjured water/professions crafts etc for other characters.

I believe this is not allowed. Blizzard doesn't allow it either. Besides sharing your account with friends doesn't seem like a very good idea. There's nothing to be done if they decide to screw you over.

Edited by Victoria

5 minutes ago, Victoria said:

I believe this is not allowed. Blizzard doesn't allow it either. Besides sharing your account with friends doesn't seem like a very good idea. There's nothing to be done if they decide to screw you over.

If a friend of mine screws me over my World of Warcraft characters is the least of my concerns. I wouldn't be handing out my account info to just anyone. I'm talking about the kind of friends that I have given a spare key to my apartment to :P

Just now, MaloW said:

If a friend of mine screws me over my World of Warcraft characters is the least of my concerns. I wouldn't be handing out my account info to just anyone. I'm talking about the kind of friends that I have given a spare key to my apartment to :P

At any rate, no, it isn't allowed. Any instance of a single player using more than one account will open both accounts up to a potential ban if the behaviour is detected.

I wonder how this will be enforced though, would be good to know so that you can avoid "false detection". Like say me and my friend both sit at my computer playing together, logged into our respective accounts and alt-tabbing between them taking turns playing. Or say we use the same computer but with 2 virtual machines with 2 monitors, keyboards and mice plugged into the computer, each of us playing our own account. Or say we use 2 different computers on the same LAN network having the same external IP. Will either of these scenarios be falsely detected by the server as account-sharing or multi-account-playing and result in the accounts getting banned? If not then I guess the only way this rule will be enforced is if someone admits to doing it or is caught on stream doing it, much like how the account-sharing rule works on Blizzard's servers.

@MaloW I would say that in the scenario where two people are playing on two accounts, on two computers, on the same network, a ban is unlikely - staff have already expressed an awareness of the fact that many players may be using the same network as other players (friends, family, university students etc). An examination of MAC addresses, among other things, is a possible way to combat false positives in this area.

Playing on the same computer using 2 virtual machines strikes me as exceedingly risky - I would advise against it. Playing on a single machine and alt-tabbing between two accounts to 'take turns' is even more risky, and is functionally indistinguishable from multi-boxing. Again, if you value your account I would avoid doing this. You will likely have no recourse in the even of a ban if the behaviour is detected. Stick to one person, one account, one computer.

Edited by Pietri

Horrible, awful decision that will eventually only create more problems than it'll solve. How will you track us down? On HF I had few "warnings" while boosting an alt only because some asshole saw me running with alt in open world and reported me. What are you gonna do if I stay in dungeons, or even won't have main near my alt? I'll tell you what. Nothing. Also what are you gonna do if people play together from same IP address? How would you know it's the same guy and not two brothers, or friends for example? I urge you to rethink your standing on the subject and change it to "No more than 2 accounts allowed to be multiboxed without any 3d party programs". Otherwise... People will find the way. We always do. Please don't create unnecessary problems for both us and yourself.

Edited by RealVice

22 minutes ago, RealVice said:

Horrible, awful decision that will eventually only create more problems than it'll solve. How will you track us down? On HF I had few "warnings" while boosting an alt only because some asshole saw me running with alt in open world and reported me. What are you gonna do if I stay in dungeons, or even won't have main near my alt? I'll tell you what. Nothing. Also what are you gonna do if people play together from same IP address? How would you know it's the same guy and not two brothers, or friends for example? I urge you to rethink your standing on the subject and change it to "No more than 2 accounts allowed to be multiboxed without any 3d party programs". Otherwise... People will find the way. We always do. Please don't create unnecessary problems for both us and yourself.

On one side I believe your post is spot-on, cause I agree that a rule like this one is kinda unenforceable, but on the other side, I wouldn't like at all the added meta-gaming that two/more accounts give.

As I already posted many (countless?) times, I think this one rule should be made even stronger and the first step in that direction would/should be a 1account/IP unavoidable restriction.

8 hours ago, gundam said:

On one side I believe your post is spot-on, cause I agree that a rule like this one is kinda unenforceable, but on the other side, I wouldn't like at all the added meta-gaming that two/more accounts give.

As I already posted many (countless?) times, I think this one rule should be made even stronger and the first step in that direction would/should be a 1account/IP unavoidable restriction.

A lot of people in the world sit behind CG-NAT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT)

We are running out of IPv4 addresses and as such the ISPs are working right now on implementing CG-NATs everywhere. With a CG-NAT you have hundreds, sometimes even thousands of households with the same external IP.

IP-banning and IP-restrictions do not work anymore. It was something that worked well in the 90's, but today IP-addresses is a rare commodity.

1 hour ago, MaloW said:

A lot of people in the world sit behind CG-NAT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT)

We are running out of IPv4 addresses and as such the ISPs are working right now on implementing CG-NATs everywhere. With a CG-NAT you have hundreds, sometimes even thousands of households with the same external IP.

IP-banning and IP-restrictions do not work anymore. It was something that worked well in the 90's, but today IP-addresses is a rare commodity.

This open-beta would be a nice environment to get some "real" data about what you're talking about.

I really doubt you can consistently find this many "legacy enthusiast" sharing IP behind those ISP-NATs.

We are few and far away from each other, imo, but again, both yours and mine are just opinions.

One thing is certain, restricting accounts to 1/IP would get rid of the BIGGEST MAJORITY of "multiple accounts/multiboxing" problems, right off the bat.

In fact, skipping such check (the account/IP restriction) wouldn't be free and only very few will go to the length to pay for VPNs/VPSs to do such thing.

It just sounds like its all good as long as you have 2 dif computers. Doesn't this just screw over people that don't have multiple computers lying around to run multiple games?

Edited by mchotdog

On 12/06/2017 at 1:30 AM, dollaz916 said:

please consider 2 accounts max

This

At the moment I play on another server with my son but we are waiting for this server to go live. If there is any chance we would be accused of boxing and banned because two accounts are connected from the same router IP then it's not even worth starting in the first place.

No one said you couldn't play from the same IP. They simply stated you cant have multiple accounts. It seems people are trying to find ways to cheat the system. Make an account and play on it responsibly and be done with it. Stop looking for loop holes. If you let someone else play on your account as some have brought up then you suffer the consequences if they do something against the rules while they have access to said account. Don't be selfish, lots of people want to play and creating extra queues because so many people want multiple accounts is not sensible.  

12 minutes ago, Xsmoothx said:

No one said you couldn't play from the same IP. They simply stated you cant have multiple accounts. It seems people are trying to find ways to cheat the system. Make an account and play on it responsibly and be done with it. Stop looking for loop holes. If you let someone else play on your account as some have brought up then you suffer the consequences if they do something against the rules while they have access to said account. Don't be selfish, lots of people want to play and creating extra queues because so many people want multiple accounts is not sensible.  

I'm not looking for any loopholes.

What I mean is we will play at the same time as my son so you would see two accounts logged in from the same time.

The server we play on now has a big multibox issue and will be glad to see the last of it.

1 minute ago, kinappynow said:

I'm not looking for any loopholes.

What I mean is we will play at the same time as my son so you would see two accounts logged in from the same time.

The server we play on now has a big multibox issue and will be glad to see the last of it.

I know what you mean. I have never seen the devs say you couldn't have multiple people playing on the same IP. They simply said you cant play more than one account. If you follow the rules and only play one account I don't see how you can be banned. If your son is playing on his account and you are playing on yours I don't believe you have broken any rules.